ramblings from my heart and mind

{On a constant journey with the Lord-striving to glorify him with everything I am-love others the way Christ has and continues to love me-determined to be the best daughter, friend, mentor, and individual I can be}

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tame It!



Gross right? I have never actually thought a tongue was so gross...
Yesterday in my time with the Lord I felt led to start reading James,
so today I continued reading...I know its a short book, but truly
has soooo much information in it. Whoa! Anyway, I began reading in
Chapter 3, which talks about taming your tongue. Here is a small
peek, "the tongue is a small part or the body, but it makes great
boasts." WHAT?!?!?! I was like, HOLD UP a minute...but man is it
so incredibly true. A tongue is this ugly flap of I don't even know
that helps you pronounce words, makes faces, sound out things, make
sounds, eat, etc. but it is also a thing that lets mean words be said,
boast about yourself, your job, etc... you get what I'm saying.
Read some more..."It corrupts the whole, get that WHOLE, person, sets
the whole course of one's life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."
WHOA! more..."...but no one can tame the tongue...It is a restless evil, full
of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, AND with it we
curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness."
Can I throw up yet?
Then it goes on to explain even more..."Can both fresh water and salt water
flow from the same spring?" Heck to the no...

I am flabbergasted! haha fun word, but for real- what comes out of your mouth
after you leave church, eating with the family, around friends, at work,
speaking to one you may not like so much...it's something to think about
that's for sure! I am so convicted by this piece of scripture today.
I have to ask myself this question- is my tongue praising God my Maker
in one setting and then in another setting bashing his loved children
that HE made from his own likeness?

I hope you get my heart here...I have no room to judge at all and man,
whether you have a tongue that spits out ugliness or hatred or judgement
or whatever else you can spit out...think about this scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment